Let’s make a reservation right away – we are not talking about lubricating the main mechanisms! This should be done by experts. Where to lubricate the treadmill? In the zone of contact between the canvas and the supporting board (deck). How often?
It all depends on the conditions of the simulator, the cleanliness of the room, and other factors, so there is no exact time frame. Judging by practice, the normal frequency is 250-300 km or 30-35 hours of work. On the other hand, there are models for which the manufacturer sets a resource of 150-180 hours. It is easy to make sure that the procedure is necessary or unnecessary – pull the running belt and slide your finger along it or the support. If the glide is good and there is a clear tactile feel of the lubricant, no lubrication is necessary.
Beginners often ask how to lubricate the treadmill, and this is the main mistake – the fabric from which it is made has the right slip coefficient, so the deck needs to be processed! If the canvas itself stops sliding, then the wear is so significant that no amount of lubrication will help.
How to lubricate a treadmill
The process is simple but requires attention and the correct sequence of actions. For one service, about 20 milliliters of ointment is enough, so the easiest way is to buy a “20-cc” syringe in a pharmacy and use it. We collect ointment, turn off the simulator from the network and proceed:
- We loosen the canvas by unscrewing the latches on both sides by the same number of turns.
- In the middle, we raise the canvas and on both sides we “stretch” the lubricant along the accessible part of the deck on the left and right along the frame, squeezing out equally
- We lower the canvas and stretch it to working condition
- We turn on the simulator in the mode of 3-4 km / h for 4-5 minutes to evenly distribute the lubricating layer over the baseboard
- If grease has come out along the edges of the track, remove it with a sponge or lint-free cloth
You don’t need to save, but you shouldn’t use more than the indicated amount. Excess grease will protrude and stain everything around, and at the same time serve as a “base” for the dust to stick and quickly lose its quality!
What is the best treadmill lubricant?
For the maintenance of treadmills, a special silicone grease in the form of an ointment is used. Sprays can be found on sale, but, despite their obvious ease of use, professionals do not recommend using them. The fact is that in order for the composition to be volatile, components are added to it that destroys the web material!
In no case should you use other lubricants, and even more so oils – even if proven in other areas, a specialized product is required here!
We will not name specific brands, since, with the similarity of the basic materials, some components differ from different manufacturers. Therefore, it will be correct to choose the lubricant that is prescribed in the instructions for a particular model of the simulator. If the brand is not indicated, be sure to ask the seller about this issue – ignoring recommendations and mistakes in choosing a material usually end in a denial of warranty service.
How to lubricate your treadmill [IN 4 STEPS]
Most of the technical problems with treadmills come from a lack of lubrication. If you don’t know how to do it, we’ll show you. It is very simple:
1️⃣ Unplug the treadmill from the mains.
2️⃣Lift one side of the belt, shake the spray, and apply it as horizontally as possible, making sure it reaches the center of the belt. Repeat the process on the opposite side of the belt.
3️⃣ Finally, switch it on for five minutes at a moderate speed, 5 km/h maximum.
4️⃣ Let your belt rest for several hours and do not fold it so that the lubricant soaks into the belt.
✅ Your treadmill is now properly lubricated. ✅
Want to keep your treadmill in top condition? Follow these tips:
✔️ When using the treadmill, make sure that the belt is aligned and wipe the console with a damp cloth to clean it.
✔️ Check that the belt is lubricated monthly.
✔️ Once every six months remove any dust or particles accumulated in the engine.
✔️ Once a year, check the condition of the distribution chain, the anchoring of the engine, the roller bearings (front and rear), and the deterioration of the belt.
The treadmill not only helps us to keep fit but also improves our blood circulation and helps to lower blood pressure, which strengthens the heart.
In addition, the treadmill allows you to enjoy other activities such as watching TV, listening to music, surfing the internet, and even working.
It’s a great way to stay fit and make the most of your time!
Do you live in a warm climate?
In warm climates, lubricants can dry out very quickly. Sometimes it’s just temperature, other times humidity can make the lubricant dirty and cause big problems.
This is what you need to do to prevent this from happening, or at least keep it going for as long as possible.
- Control the temperature in the room: Most of the time, people put their treadmills in their garage, and the garage is the last place to install air conditioning in their home. The intermittent heat in the morning and afternoon will cause the lubricant to dry out quickly. Place the treadmill in an air-conditioned room that is not a problem.
- Set reminders for lube more often: It’s unfair, but you should lubricate your treadmill more often than most people. inevitable Set an alarm on your phone for a specific date in the future, use the paper calendar on your refrigerator to keep track of all your stuff, or use the calendar app that sends notifications and reminders to email and phone number. Either way, lubricate more often.
- Get a weatherproof lubricant: No two lubricants are exactly the same. You get a weather-resistant lubricant to help you fight extreme heat. It’s not perfect, but it should reduce how often you need to lubricate your treadmill in the future.
Do you live in a cold climate?
Just like extreme heat, very cold climates also affect treadmill lubrication. If you don’t know what to do, we’re here to help.
- Optimal conditions: Cold is actually better for lubrication than hot. The risk of grease corrosion is not very high, but with the correct temperature, it becomes more viscous. If you do not reach single digits, you must be in perfect working condition.
- When Freezing: When it gets too cold, the grease doesn’t provide relief between the pieces of metal it usually protects. Lubricants become more viscous and act less efficiently, which can cause metal-to-metal friction. This is the opposite of what we want and can do serious damage if we’re not careful.
- Things to keep in mind: If you store your treadmill in a garage or other uninsulated, uncontrolled temperature environment, the cold may not destroy the lubricant, but it can damage all the electrical components of the treadmill. This means it can damage motors, LCD screens, and many other electrical components. When deciding where to store your treadmill, keep this in mind and not just focus on lubrication.
What Lubricant to Use
There are two main lubricants that can be used, but in practice, you must use the main lubricant.
As a 100% silicone lubricant, you can find it in the recommendations of almost any manufacturer on their website or in their documentation.
Silicone grease is best, but some recommend Teflon. Yes, non-stick coating on pots and pans. Teflon can ruin most treadmills, so be very careful.
The manufacturer’s recommendations very clearly indicate whether both types of lubricants can be used. You can also check out online forums for specific brands and treadmill models to see what others have to say.
Some manufacturers claim that there is a special lubricant applied to the tread by the factory and that it does not need to be cleaned, replaced, or serviced.
Decide for yourself. However, in our experience, you should always re-lubricate your treadmill at some point.
Necessary tools and equipment
It’s time to carefully disassemble and lubricate the top of the treadmill. This is what you need and may vary from model to model.
- Phillips screwdriver set
- Hex Key Set
- 100% silicone grease or Teflon grease (nebulizer works best)
- Cotton fabric that can be thrown away later
Step-by-Step Guide to Lubricating a Treadmill
Often we are asked the question: how to lubricate the treadmill? We previously published an article “Treadmill Silicone Lubricant” detailing the maintenance process of a treadmill, however, maintenance and lubrication are different procedures. Maintenance involves diagnosing, adjusting, cleaning, and lubricating the treadmill components, while lubrication is the maintenance procedure for the belt and deck, as they are most subject to wear. In this article, we will talk specifically about how to properly lubricate the treadmill.
How often should the treadmill be lubricated?
There is no single answer to this question! As the practice of our partners – service centers for the repair and maintenance of simulators – shows, during the daily operation of the treadmill – at least 2 times a month, in other cases – at least 1 time in two months. Raise the edge of the tape and check for grease on the backing board. If the board is dry (matte color) – it’s time to apply lubricant.
To lubricate the deck and belt of the treadmill, we need a specialized silicone lubricant for treadmills. Silicone lubricants should not be used in spray cans, as they contain propane and solvents, which can damage the coating of the deck and the canvas.
Treadmill Lubrication Steps:
1. We collect silicone grease in a syringe, 20 milliliters. This amount of lubrication is sufficient for one service. Excessive lubrication can cause clogging and failure of the machine.
2. Raise the canvas with your hand and squeeze out 10 milliliters of lubricant from the left and right sides onto the deck (baseboard). It is advisable to squeeze the lubricant out of the syringe as close to the center as possible.
3. Run the treadmill at idle for 3-5 minutes. During the operation of the simulator, the lubricant will spread over the surface of the belt and deck.
4. After each lubrication, we recommend that you record the current date and schedule the next service.